Monday, December 27, 2010

Sexy Zebra, Double Chocolate & Pistacchio Biscotti

Hello all,

I have a great recipe to share with you today...



I'm not a fan of biscotti. There are only a few times when I could say that I really enjoyed one. However, I was flipping through my cookbook "Pasta Et Cetera" a la DiStasio and I came across this recipe. These cookies looked different from what I've seen - they looked beautiful & decadent. I loved how the bright green pistachios stood out against the dark chocolate.

The author of this cookbook, Josee DiStasio is a popular Montreal Chef- especially with the French speaking foodie community. She's also friends with another local Chef which I was lucky enough to cook with - Franca Mazza. Fun fact - Franca has appeared on Josee's show a few times.  I've never caught the show myself but I hear its great. I love to encourage and try recipes from local chefs. We have a lot to be proud of up here.


Check out her site to learn more about her.  
http://aladistasio.telequebec.tv/a_la_distasio/accueil.html

So, I made them. The result? They tasted as great as they looked. I added my own little twist to the recipe by making a kinda" zebra motif over top. They looked like....edgy.. modern....sexy Biscotti if that's possible...lol
Here is the recipe.

Makes 36 biscotti

Ingredients.
2 Cups of flour
1/2 Cup of Cocoa
1tsp of baking soda
1/2tsp of salt
1/4 Cup of of butter at room temp.
1 Cup of sugar
2 extra large eggs at room temp.
2tsp of vanilla extract
2tsp of almond essence 
1 Cup of whole, shelled pistachios (unsalted - can be found at any nut shop such as "Best Nuts" on St-John's in the West Island.
145g or 5oz of 58 to 70% Cocoa - finely chopped
*Keep a small amount of flour aside in case the dough is too sticky.

Directions
Preheat oven to 325. 

Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper

In a bowl sift flour cocoa, baking soda and salt - set aside

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time and mix again after each addition.

Add the vanilla extract and Almond essence

With a wooden spoon, add the dry ingredients, the nuts and the chocolate, working the dough with your hands. Add some extra flour if dough is too sticky.

Divide the dough in two and roll into a log of about 10 inches in length and 3 inches in width. 
Cook at the center of the oven for 30 minutes or until the dough seems firm to the touch. 
With the help of two spatulas, place the logs on a cooling rack for about 20 mins ( i never wait long enough, Im too impatient)

Reduce the oven temperature to 300.

Place the logs on a cutting board. With a bread knife (Serrated) cut diagonal slices of about 1/2 and inch in width.

Lay them down on the baking sheet and continue to bake them for another 10 minutes.

Allow them to cool. Biscotti can be stored in an air tight container for about 2 weeks but they won't make it to two weeks, I guarantee it.

Once biscotti are cool, dip the top in some melted chocolate. - I usually just melt "Baker's" brand chocolate in the microwave.

I used semi-sweet and white chocolate and drizzled them over the tops of the cookies to give it that Zebra look.

Enjoy and of course, give me feedback!! xoxo

Thanks for reading!!




1 comment:

  1. I made them today with a slightly different chocolate topping. I melted about 5 oz of white bakers chocolate and slowly poured it in a shallow bowl, but kind of on one side. I melted the same amount of dark 70% chocolate and poured into the same bowl, opposite the white chocolate. I then took a knife and kind of swirled the two. I dipped each cookie, dragging it from one side to the other. This creates a marbled effect. Really pretty.

    ReplyDelete