Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Super-duper Double Chocolate Cookies with Peppermint-chocolate Drizzle

Hi Guys!

These chocolate cookies are THE most decadent cookies I've ever tasted!

The cookie recipe is from the Food Network Chef, Nigella Lawson. She's the pretty one from the UK! When you watch Nigella on the "telly", you'll see that she has the power to inspire...maybe its the British accent. I don't know.

Anyway, her original recipe does not include the drizzle. You may choose not to use it but I just love the subtle mint flavor.

They are made primarily with dark chocolate (70%) so they're not too sweet.

Everyone who knows me knows that I'm a huge fan of great cookies, especially the staff at Trattoria Mundo. I'm sure that I'm known as the annoying cookie girl because I never want the cake or other desserts on the menu. I always ask for cookies :)

Cookies are under rated. Prepare these for your next dinner party.
With so many guests asking for "a verrry small piece"...."gimme a sliver" , a cookie like this is perfect, wouldn't you say??  They're pretty big, so you could serve one with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream with a mint leaf on top! I just thought of that now...mmmm.
No dinner party? No ice cram? Have one with a glass of milk - they are so rich and chocolaty, you'll need one! You'll roll your eyes in delight with every bite..hey, that rhymed :)

Since many items are measured in grams, I use a small electronic scale to weigh my ingredients which I picked up at Ares Kitchen Supplies.  I strongly recommend this method for best results. Conversion is complicated and tedious.


Ok now,  practice your British accents, Ladies and Chaps! 

That's right, you must read the recipe aloud in British...I picture people doing this and it makes me giggle..


INGREDIENTS

125g dark chocolate, minimum 70% cocoa solids (I use Baker's chocolate - about 4 squares + 1 quarter square)
150g flour
30g cocoa, sieved
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
125g soft butter
75g light brown sugar
50g white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, cold from the fridge
350g (1.5 to 2 bags) semi-sweet chocolate morsels or dark chocolate chips (check how many grams are in each bag)

METHOD


1.Preheat the oven to 170C (Approx. 340F). Melt the 125g (about 4 squares and a quarter of baker's chocolate squares) dark chocolate either in the microwave or in a heatproof dish over a pan of simmering water.
2.Put the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
3.Cream the butter and sugars in another bowl. (I use my hand held mixer, itself an odd source of comfort to me.) Add the melted chocolate and mix together.
4.Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally stir in the chocolate chips.
5.Scoop out 12 equal-sized mounds – an ice cream scoop and a palette knife are the best tools for the job – and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart. Do not flatten them.
6.Cook for 18-20 minutes, testing with a cake tester to make sure it comes out semi-clean and not wet with cake batter. If you pierce a chocolate chip, try again.
7.Leave to cool slightly on the baking sheet for 4–5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to harden as they cool.

Serving Size : Makes 12

FOR THE GLAZE
75g icing sugar
1 x 15ml tablespoon cocoa, sieved
2 x 15ml tablespoons boiling water
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract






Combine ingredients in a saucepan. Heat until combined.
Using a teaspoon, zig-zag the glaze over each cooling cookie


Cheerio, Mates!
Click here to find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment